Friday, October 1, 2010

Doris Leaps Over Tall Buildings

Well, maybe not tall buildings. En route back to Cape Breton from the Ireland trip the Dingle walkers – all four of us – stopped to visit Doris in her new digs in a seniors building at Truro. The dear old thing was released from hospital and has been in Truro about two weeks. Appropriately, she gives highest praise to my sisters for their above-and-beyond efforts in organizing the move from Halifax while I indulged myself in Ireland.

Mum is doing remarkably well and doing so far faster than I ever expected when I saw her in hospital September 9. She uses a walker but gets about very quickly. Her weight plummeted to 85 lbs in hospital. No typo – 85 lbs. She has regained a little at Truro and I dearly hope she recovers more soon. Best of all, the dear old thing has a marvellous positive attitude about her new circumstances. She accepted an invite to participate in a card tourney. She won. Yesterday she recited several of Robert Louis Stevenson’s poems from a Child’s Garden of Verses. From memory.

Jan and I depart from Halifax for Victoria October 16. We will drive to Truro a couple of days ahead to see my mother, play a few games of cribbage, and stuff her full of truffles and her favourite ripple chips.

Those of her friends who desire to stay in touch will want her new address:
Parkland Truro Edinburgh Hall
#305, 356 Young Street
Truro NS B2N 3Y6

Her phone number is 902-843-3814.

No comments: